Sunday, August 9, 2009

Travel Bumps and Overcoming Them

(Events from August 7, 2009)*

Unless you experience the lows, you can’t appreciate the highs

What happened today? What went things went wrong? What caused stress? Many things: I felt rushed in needing to pack all my clothes, etc. for the weekend prior to leaving for a tour of a Nazi concentration camp, I felt rushed in validating my train pass before departing for Göttingen, I took the wrong train to Göttingen, I got lost and wandered around helplessly for 2 hours, and I remained lost when the sun began to set and the stores closed. While walking around the town center area, I felt secluded.

It’s an odd feeling to feel as such when physically surrounded by lots of people. And yet, I felt nothing but seclusion and isolation—my timid nature combined with the fact that I couldn’t speak their language makes for a deadly duo.

Eventually, after much wandering around and double-checking where I was supposed to go (turns out I had the wrong destination for those 2 hours...oops), I got to my planned destination and rarely felt happier—I greeted people I knew and could speak my tongue. My dehydrated self eagerly downed the water placed in front of me and my body welcomed the nutrients in the form of a cheese pizza. People chatted and I felt as though I belonged.

Several hours passed since then. I now sit in a white room with a tan carpet decorated with small brown dashes. My laptop rests upon a square wooden table along with a small lamp and a large bottle of “fizzy water.” On the far edge of this table lies a metal lamp that looks like a shovel if viewed two-dimensionally. Two rectangular windows surrounded with white window panes sit four feet away at a 45° angle to both my left and right. Below the window sill of each stand heating grates, for times colder than now.















The soft pillow atop my bed beckons me as the adenosine buildup in my brain prompts me to get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day…


*This entry was written on August 7, 2009. However, I had no internet connection so the posting has been delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment