Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Time Bridge: Istanbul --> Berlin

(From August 17, 2009)
Istanbul, Turkey

A day of riding trams and flying in a plane. My journal doesn’t give me much to work with. What I recall is a hint of sadness. Sadness that I have to leave this magical place; this chaotic place; this city I'm growing to like. Zooming by on a crowded tram over the Bosphorus; seeing the many fishing lines cast out in the hope for mackerel, the bikers and walkers narrowly missing one another, the sea of yellow taxis surrounding the railway; I’m going to miss them all.

A transfer to a new train. New sights. A wrecked stadium next to an empty white parking lot. Gecekondus off in the distance. Mosques at some point within sight at every angle. A sea of clay-red roofs from houses. Memories of similar places I visited over the past four days. Themes and ideas. Stark divisions in social class. A rich history and beauty in the most unexpected places; I’m going to miss them all.

……

From where I sit, I see the buildings beginning to shrink. I feel as though I could pick up a whole handful and fit them on my lap. The trees, skyscrapers, various waterways, and yellow taxis. I turn away from the window and stare at the mini-LCD screen in front of me. Time to Destination: 2.30. Putting my earphones on to see what the plane has to offer, I hear Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face.” Satisfied, I close my eyes as I see myself flying over the clouds. Goodbye chaos. Goodbye shimmering Bosphorus. Hello order. I’m coming back, Berlin…

No comments:

Post a Comment