Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Etude: Responding to "The Ghosts of Berlin"

Several years have passed since I have last taken a “humanities” or “civilization” course. Prior to delving into the first few chapters of Brian Ladd’s “Ghosts of Berlin,” the readings I was accustomed to consisted of those pertaining to the natural sciences or music history. This being said, a book on buildings and identity was a refreshing change.

I know very little about (non-musical) history and geography, so the basic information Ladd gave about the story behind Berlin was definitely new to me, and has started to fill in the gaps in my knowledge in ways that will allow me to more fully appreciate the upcoming trip.

It makes sense that those who lived through the wall may have issues with identity and hold differing views on the wall as a monument. At the same time, I’m wondering how much longer this will remain an issue. With each generation, the people become more temporally distant from the events and issues associated with the wall. I liken this to the American Civil War—in the present day, we are quite removed from the thought-processes and motivations that led up to it a century-and-a-half ago.

Should parts of it (the wall) be kept as monuments or reminders? I would argue “yes.” Although its existence may bring back painful memories to some in the present, it would not be fair to the future generations if every part of it were demolished. I am sure very few (if any) people in the present-day advocate the destruction of all Civil War monuments. Similarly, I would imagine that if one asks a Berlin resident a century from now whether or not the wall should have been completely destroyed in the 20th-21st Century, they would respond with a “no.” The division and the wall are as much a part of Berlin’s history as the Civil War is with ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment